Wednesday 26 October 2011

Making Bread And Cheese

Creating the Bread

Starting with a block of expandible polystyrene (white in colour) I then drew the desired shape onto the top so that I had a guidline to go by when shaping.  From here I the used files of different shapes and sizes to start carving the polystyrene towards the final shape that I needed.


Once I had curved all the edges so that I now had the overall shap of the bread that I wanted I could start creating the indents into the top to make it look more realistic and like a loaf that had just been baked.



From this point I now had to put a layer of fabric over the polystyrene so that I was able to paint over the top. Using muslin and the combination of PVA glue and water I coated the whole thing in a layer and allowed it to dry leaving a solid surface that I could then start painting on.

  


Once the loaf had dried I was not able to paint on in to make it look realistic.



Creating the Cheese

To make the cheese I used non expandable polystyrene however I still used the same process as when making the bread. Once I had covered the whole thing in muslin and PVA again I added a layer of scrim onto the end of the cheese to give the rind the rough taxture that you would find on cheese.



Once dry I was then able to paint onto the surface, allowing that to dry then I had completed both the bread and cheese props that would be able to be used on stage.



No comments:

Post a Comment